Friday, July 27, 2012

Day 5 And on the fifth day she cried

Came up with this great idea.  How do I know it was great?  Because the students loved it.  Or was it the candy?

Created a game around the entrepreneur side of things. Don't worry teachers each day we do literacy around my novel Money Hungry. Oh. Not today though, sorry.  Today a few  students began to write a letter  about their businesses, to another organization.


The business game was to reinforce or to teach things around entrepreneurship and 99 percent of them were on board, asking questions, answering them.  Later when we started the letter and a few got stuck saying it's too hard.  I asked about one of the traits of an entrepreneur.  "They know things get hard but they don't quit 'cause things do get hard."  Okay that's not a 100 percent accurate quote from the student,  'cause I ain't in there taping them.  But the quote is very close.

Packing up. Ready to leave.   I cried.  Wish they were happy tears.  They weren't.  I'll just say that a business letter is not the Constitution.


Here's what I think.  Be mad at me if you like.   Some people think God is judging America for all sorts of things like homosexually, abortion and more.  I don't, but think what you wish.  That said I am certain God is ticked off about what we've allowed to happen to our young.  He's got to be. And they've got to be too.  


Oh Sharon where have you been?  I can hear you now with your coffee and pomp.  Right here.  In the inner city.  But I am the one who can see without seeing. That has been absolutely necessary to do the kind of work I do. It is also what it's like to walk in my head.  I notice and I do not notice, and I am glad for that.   Otherwise, it is  like watching the news all the time, which I do not.  You begin to believe that all you see is all there is.  And I have always known there was more right where these students live and dream.  Walking up the steps these five days.  Putting my bags down.  Writing on the big, tall teacher pad.  I wait for them to enter.  I hug, I smile, I laugh.  I teach.  I believe. Have always believed.  That I can change the world.  Even when I trip over my feet.  Skin my knee.  Take on too much.    I believe.  That all of God's babies deserve better. So why is it, that this nation seems okay when so many do not get it?



No comments:

Post a Comment