Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Students Use Money Hungry Novel to Learn Entrepreneurship



I swore I’d never blog.  There is so much chatter in the world already; I figured I’d keep my big mouth shut.  I lied. 

Here I am blogging with the rest of the planet—darn it another big mouth.  Don’t worry.  I won’t bend your ear too often.  Just every now and again.

Not that you asked, but I am sitting on my lawn smiling ear to ear by the way, happy enough to tap dance if I knew how.  Why?  Because I did something yesterday I’ve wanted to do for a while.  Took one of my novels and began to use it with students in a way I always knew was possible.  Now don’t puff up teachers and librarians.  I’m hugging you kissing you right now—not the married ones your wifeys wouldn’t like it.  You’ve supported my work for years and I wouldn’t be here without you.  But sometimes, way down deep inside, I think the breath and scope of some of my work has yet to be realized in many classrooms.  Take Money Hungry, my Coretta Scott King Honor Book.  It’s about a girl who thinks money will fill the hole inside her and prevent her from ending up  living on the streets again.  Loads of students still email me about it. They want a third novel, but that’s not why I’m blogging.  This summer I will teach a class to teenagers in Pittsburgh connecting the book to common core standards and the entrepreneurial spirit that flows through it, as well as most youth.

The preview of the two-week course was yesterday.  Thirteen young people (a few more to come) came voluntarily (that’s saying something when it’s summer and your friends are in the heat living la Vida loca.)  Here’s a glimpse of what happened.  I had them interview one another to get loosened up.  Nothing like asking a person who they would like to have play themselves in a movie or what the title of a book about them and their friends should be called, to start a lively conversation.

I introduced the program.  Had the class meditate for five minutes.  Yeah—I said what you thought I said.  They could lie across the desks or on the floor.  Sit in their chairs or kick off their shoes.  Stinky feet had to stay inside sneakers, however.  My rule.  The five-minute meditation seemed like hours I suppose.  Took me three minutes to wake some folk up.  Why mediate?  Tell you later.

Next they wrote for ten-minutes about whatever they liked.  It’s hard sometimes to give students an open ended assignment like this—but necessary at times to help them remember that their minds are full and not just when someone else is pouring into them.

So what does all of this have to do with entrepreneurship?  Imagination,  creativity, pushing past your boundaries has everything to do with it.  Ask Fifty Cent or Donald Trump.   Madame C.J. Walker or the guy on the corner selling umbrellas and water ice.

I told the class that they weren’t kids in my room, nor students.  They will be referred to as entrepreneurs.  They believed me.  After we discussed my novel, they set right to work.  Their charge?  Form business groups on their own or let this big mouth bossy woman do it for them.  You know what they preferred.  I told them in advance, though, don’t just hook up with friends.  “You don’t know some of these people well but use your gut.  Think.  Look for workers, creative thinkers, leaders.”  Then the fun began.  I gave them a list of businesses any 11-17 year old could do if they'd like.  Didn’t want them thinking they could only start a business when they were grown or old as dirt.  They could select from my list or come up with their own businesses.  Smart folks.  Some groups combined their ideas with those on the list.  “Your business needs a name,” I said.  They did that as well. Looking back already, I wish that list had more technology oriented options. 

The instant entrepreneurs were empowered, fast learners and feeling themselves.  But part of being an entrepreneur (As an author, I’m one myself) is learning to make the business work.  Picking the right team of folks to be around you.  Knowing what you need to be successful and learning to pick yourself up when you fall.    I’m hoping these young people will learn all this and more during our time together.  The work will be on paper, but the pressure will be on.  They will have to come up with ways to market themselves, make presentations, create logos and the like.  They will have to calculate how much money they will need for three months of supplies, as well as figure out how much to donate to a organization (on paper) to a charity in their neighborhood. 
     
 So Sharon Flake, where’s the book come in you’re saying?  Money Hungry will never be far behind.  They will read it over the two weeks they will be away from me.  When we return, we’ll deal with characters, plots, and author intent, common core standards and more.  We’ll connect Raspberry the entrepreneur to the business folks in the class and beyond.  Issues of homelessness,  and community in the book will also be addressed with the entrepreneurs.  What role does small business play in the health and welfare of the communities they serve?  Do you have to be a millionaire to give back? They will also write love letters to their community.

   I know what you’re thinking.  Sharon Flake who are those young people in your class anyhow?   Geniuses?  I will admit, some seem very smart and motivated.  I am doing my session in conjunction with a few local organizations and never asked how they selected my young entrepreneurs.  My thought has always been to expect the most even from the least likely.   Adapt your  adapt approach along the way but don't sell young people short.   I'm down with that.  Already I am thinking about ways the entrepreneurs may donate time to any struggling entrepreneurs in the class.

So stay tuned.  In two weeks I will be back here again letting you know how it all goes.   In the mean time, chill.  Read a book.  Inside each book, each child, there are worlds of possibilities.   Believe.


1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a great idea. When I was in elementary school I remember asking my mom to buy me a large bag of gum, the kind that were individually wrapped. I would end up selling them to my friends and other kids who rode the same bus with me. :-)

    ReplyDelete